Now, not only is Google a household name around the world, it has also moved into first place among major search engines and it wields considerable power in the lives of those who seek to make their living online.
Playing by the rules of Google SEO has become a real speciality for some marketers, and those who have gone against the rules have ended up losing significant business.
One of the reasons for Google’s success, and their power in the search engine world, is that the founders set out to take on the major ones by focusing and refining the technology behind the Google search engine in order to better understand what the surfer was looking for and deliver better search results than their competitors.
There is no doubt that their master plan worked out and at this point Google searches account for more than 60% of all the searches done online, which means that the other major search engines share the other 40% of searches.
These numbers have certainly given Google the power to influence the search engine industry and given webmasters motivation to be sure to make search engine optimization Google style a top priority.
The primary way that Google compiles the results that they show when a search is done is by the use of “spiders” that go out and crawl the web. Two of the things that gets positive attention from the Google spiders are quality inbound linking and quality content.
For a good Google search engine optimization of your site, it will be helpful to have good quality links that point to your site from other relevant websites.
The weight of these links varies depending on the quality of the sites that link to you, if you have text links, as opposed to links off banner ads for instance, and also the quality of the text that surrounds your link, as well as the page rank of those sites.
Google also has a complex algorithm it uses to check the text of your pages to see if it is good, readable, quality content, or if is a mass of gibberish that is nothing more than a page full of keywords that don’t even comprise full and complete sentences. Having good quality content that delivers value to the visitor is a primary key to search engine optimization Google style.
Some people will say that your meta description, title and keywords are of utmost importance to rank well with Google, and they might have been true in the past, but these things do not carry as much weight as they used to. Of course having appropriate keywords defined and a good meta description can’t hurt, but more time should be spent on quality links and content.
Google also uses something they call Page Rank technology that measures the relative importance of a website based on an extremely complex equation that takes into consideration more than 500 million different variables.
Part of the analysis evaluates the quality of both inbound and outbound links and assigning a value, further complicating the search engine optimization Google uses to rank your site.
By: MIKE SELVON
About the Author: